Ex-Marine Gives On-Camera Interview About Subway Standoff Tragedy

In a recent development surrounding the tragic death of Jordan Neely, a New York City subway passenger, Daniel Penny, the Marine who restrained him until his untimely demise, has given his first on-camera interview. Denying any intentional harm or racial bias, Penny seeks to clarify the events leading up to the incident and shed light on his perspective.

According to Penny, the encounter began when Neely, who was allegedly struggling with mental illness and homelessness, entered the subway carriage. Witnesses claim Neely removed his jacket and made menacing threats toward fellow passengers, prompting a tense atmosphere. Penny, recognizing the potential danger, felt compelled to intervene to protect those around him.

Contrary to reports suggesting a 15-minute struggle, Penny asserts that the entire interaction lasted less than 5 minutes. He clarifies that his intention was never to cause harm but to restrain Neely from carrying out his threats. Penny justifies his actions, highlighting the rise and fall of Neely’s chest as evidence that he was still breathing during the incident. Moreover, Penny emphasizes that his decision to intervene was not driven by racial bias, as he perceived Neely as a threat to all passengers, regardless of their ethnicity.

Penny explains that as a Marine, he was trained to confront fear and act with courage in the face of adversity. He recalls feeling frightened for his own safety but was primarily driven by the need to protect the women and children who were subjected to Neely’s menacing behavior. Penny’s actions were guided by his belief in his moral obligation to safeguard his fellow passengers.

“The man stumbled on, he appeared to be on drugs, the doors closed, and he ripped his jacket off and threw it down at the people sitting next to me at my left,” he said describing the incident.

Penny said that he took his headphones out from listening to music as he heard Neely yelling in what he deemed a “scary situation.”

“The three main threats that he repeated over and over again were I’m going to kill you, I’m prepared to go to jail for life and I’m willing to die,” Penny said.

At a certain point, Penny felt that he couldn’t sit and do nothing any longer.

“I was scared for myself but I looked around there was women and children, he was yelling in their faces saying these threats. I just couldn’t sit still.”

Charged with manslaughter, Penny awaits legal proceedings that could potentially lead to a 15-year prison sentence. He maintains his self-defense plea, asserting that he acted to protect himself and others. Furthermore, Penny discloses that the incident has deeply traumatized him, preventing him from using the subway since that fateful day.

Daily Mail