As the tendrils of the Democratic impeachment inquisition continue to reach ever further into Washington, a number of White House staffers are now scrambling for representation.
One of those in the crosshairs of the political nightmare conjured by the Democrats is White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney, who recently took steps to protect himself from the whims of the wily Dems.
White House acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney plans to file his own lawsuit over testimony in the House impeachment inquiry, withdrawing his bid to join a separate case filed last month by a former Trump adviser, his attorneys said Monday.
The plans were revealed in a court filing that withdrew Mulvaney’s earlier request to become part of a suit by Charles Kupperman, the president’s former deputy national security adviser.
Lawyers for Mulvaney had asked Friday evening to join that lawsuit, saying his case presented similar legal issues to that of Kupperman. But they switched course following a conference call with a federal judge. They said they instead plan to file their own lawsuit asking a court to rule on whether Mulvaney must follow a subpoena from Congress directing him to testify or an order from the White House that he not appear.
Mulvaney became a person of interest in the case after a bizarre and combative press conference that the mainstream media spun to confirm that a “quid pro quo” was in play during a July 25th phone call between Donald Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.